When one tries to open Internet Explorer and surf internet, She/he may get error 12029. The error won’t let him open websites or download anything from the internet. Follow the guidelines given here to fix this problem:
1. Change your antivirus and firewall software
2. Re-adjust network configurations in your registry
3. Detect problems with internet connection
4. Disable automatic detection of LAN settings
5. Clean temporary internet files
Change your Antivirus and Firewall Software
An antivirus or firewall software installed on your computer may be creating conflicts with the network connections. Uninstall the existing antivirus and firewall software, if any, and download & install another one.
Re-adjust Network Configurations in your Registry
Error 12029 mostly appears if the registry is not properly configured. Re-adjust the network related keys and fill-out the appropriate values. Windows registry editor is available in all major versions of the Windows including Windows 7, Vista and XP.
Scan the entire registry using a good Registry Cleaner software and fix all the problems that are found in network-related registry entries. Keep in mind that the Windows registry is a critical part of the operating system and you shall not manually modify any settings in this area if you are not expert in computer software troubleshooting.
Detect Problems with Internet Connection
The error 12029 in Windows 7, Vista and XP may be occurring due to external factors such as problem with the internet connectivity to your computer due to ISP errors.
1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories.
2. Right click Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
3. Type the following command and press ENTER:
Note: In the Step 3, for accurate results, replace the IP Address with that provided by your Internet Service Provider. Contact him for more information.
4. What figure do you see in the Percent (%) Loss at the end of the result? If you see 0, it’s the problem with your network configurations or Internet Explorer. If the value is greater than 0, there are issues with the wiring of your broadband internet connectivity or from ISP. In such case, contact your ISP for support.
Disable Automatic Detection of LAN Settings
Change the settings of Internet Explorer so that the LAN settings will not be automatically detected. Here are the steps to solve error 12029:
1. Open Internet Explorer.
2. Click Tools | Internet Options.
3. Click Connections tab.
4. Click LAN Settings button.
5. Uncheck the box Automatically detect settings and click OK | OK.
6. Restart Internet Explorer.
Clean Temporary Internet Files
The temporary internet files could cause error 12029 in Windows 7, Vista and XP. Delete all the temporary internet files using an external System Cleaner application is recommended. However, alternative steps are provided here:
1. Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Disk CleanUp.
2. Select a drive and press ENTER.
3. Follow the instructions on your screen.