Unfortunately – Roku devices don’t support VPN applications. That means that you can’t run a VPN app natively on your Roku media streaming device. Still, if you really do want to combine those two, you can rely on workarounds. So, let’s talk about how to set up ExpressVPN on your Roku media streaming device.
1. Before you do anything else, you need to subscribe to ExpressVPN.
2. You’ll land on ExpressVPN’s website, so make sure to click on ‘Get ExpressVPN.’
3. Pick a subscription (long-term ones come with significant savings).
4. Then, provide your email address and finalize signing up for ExpressVPN.
5. Once done, expect to see a confirmation email from the VPN’s team.
6. Now, you need to decide which path (workaround) to take, so let’s explain that.
At the moment, you have two options in front of you. You can decide to share a VPN connection from your Windows or macOS computer. This method will require you to run ExpressVPN on your computer at all times (or while actively using Roku).
Then, there’s another method – and this one requires you to run ExpressVPN on your router. This is possible on an extensive range of routers, but those must be compatible with VPNs. If you’re just getting started with VPNs, check out the best VPN routers in 2021. And also, check how to choose a VPN router.
8. Check below for our instructions on sharing your VPN connection – and make sure to use the provided links. They’ll take you to our in-depth guides.
9. If VPN connection sharing doesn’t work for you, there’s another option as well.
10. That another option would be to run ExpressVPN directly on your router.
11. Below, you’ll find installation guides for various (supported) router brands.
You’ll be happy to know that ExpressVPN works on a wide range of routers. We’ve produced plenty of hands-on guides, so here’s how to set up ExpressVPN on DD-WRT, Tomato, Netduma R2, Netduma R1, DrayTek, Sabai, Xiaomi, Huawei, TP-Link, D-Link, Google WiFi, ASUS, Linksys, NETGEAR, and pfSense routers.
12. Once you install the VPN on your router, you’ll protect the source of your connection.
13. Lastly, make sure to connect to your home Wi-Fi from your Roku.
To connect to a Wi-Fi network from your Roku, navigate to Home > Settings > Network > Set Up Connection > Wireless. Pick your (newly created) connection, enter its password, and hit ‘Connect.’
14. That’s it! Your Roku will now be protected, even though it doesn’t run VPNs natively.
So, those would be the two workarounds for using ExpressVPN on Roku. If you have any questions for us, make sure to post them via the comments section below. And lastly, thank you for reading!