In the next weeks we will talk in detail about being an ethical hacker. Course with assignments, exaples and tutorials. This is part 2.
Top Tools for Ethical Hacking
Hacking Tools are computer programs and scripts that help you find and exploit weaknesses in computer systems, web applications, servers and networks. There is a variety of such tools available on the market. Some of them are open source while others are commercial solution.
In this list we highlight the top tools for Ethical Hacking of web applications, servers and networks.
Netsparker is an easy to use web application security scanner that can automatically find SQL Injection, XSS and other vulnerabilities in your web applications and web services. It is available as on-premises and SAAS solution.
- Dead accurate vulnerability detection with the unique Proof-Based Scanning Technology.
- Minimal configuration required. Scanner automatically detects URL rewrite rules, custom 404 error pages.
- REST API for seamless integration with the SDLC, bug tracking systems etc.
- Fully scalable solution. Scan 1,000 web applications in just 24 hours.
- Scans for all variants of SQL Injection, XSS, and 4500+ additional vulnerabilities
- Detects over 1200 WordPress core, theme, and plugin vulnerabilities
- Fast & Scalable – crawls hundreds of thousands of pages without interruptions
- Integrates with popular WAFs and Issue Trackers to aid in the SDLC
- Available On Premises and as a Cloud solution.
ImmuniWeb® AI Platform provides a full spectrum of Application Security Testing, Asset Discovery, Attack Surface Management, Dark Web Monitoring and Continuous Security Monitoring solutions tailored for DevSecOps.
- Reduced complexity and lower operations costs
- Holistic visibility of your digital assets and risks
- Priority-based and risk-aware testing
- Full DevSecOps integration
SaferVPN is an indispensable tool in an Ethical hackers arsenal. You may need it to check target in different geographies, simulate nonpersonalized browsing behavior, anonymized file transfers, etc.
- No Log VPN with high security and anonymity
- Very fast speeds with 2000+ servers across continents
- Based in Hongkong, it does not store any data.
- Split tunneling and 5 simultaneous logins
- 24/7 support
- Supports Windows, Mac, Android, Linux, iPhone, etc.
- 300,000+ IPs
- Port Forwarding, Dedicated IO and P2P Protection
- 31 Day Money-Back Guarantee
Burp Suite is a useful platform for performing Security Testing of web applications. Its various tools work seamlessly together to support the entire pen testing process. It spans from initial mapping to analysis of an application’s attack surface.
It can detect over 3000 web application vulnerabilities.
- Scan open-source software and custom-built applications
- An easy to use Login Sequence Recorder allows the automatic scanning
- Review vulnerability data with built-in vulnerability management.
- Easily provide wide variety of technical and compliance reports
- Detects Critical Vulnerabilities with 100% Accuracy
- Automated crawl and scan
- Advanced scanning feature for manual testers
- Cutting-edge scanning logic
Ettercap is an ethical hacking tool. It supports active and passive dissection includes features for network and host analysis.
- It supports active and passive dissection of many protocols
- Feature of ARP poisoning to sniff on a switched LAN between two hosts
- Characters can be injected into a server or to a client while maintaining a live connection
- Ettercap is capable of sniffing an SSH connection in full duplex
- Allows sniffing of HTTP SSL secured data even when the connection is made using proxy
- Allows creation of custom plugins using Ettercap’s API
Aircrack is a trustable ethical hacking tool. It cracks vulnerable wireless connections. It is powered by WEP WPA and WPA 2 encryption Keys.
- More cards/drivers supported
- Support all types of OS and platforms
- New WEP attack: PTW
- Support for WEP dictionary attack
- Support for Fragmentation attack
- Improved tracking speed
Angry IP Scanner
Angry IP Scanner is open-source and cross-platform ethical hacking tool. It scans IP addresses and ports.
- Scans local networks as well as the Internet
- Free and open-source tool
- Random or file in any format
- Exports results into many formats
- Extensible with many data fetchers
- Provides command-line interface
- Works on Windows, Mac, and Linux
- No need for Installation
GFI LanGuard is an ethical tool that scan networks for vulnerabilities. It can acts as your ‘virtual security consultant’ on demand. It allows creating an asset inventory of every device.
- It helps to maintain a secure network over time is to know which changes are affecting your network and
- Patch management: Fix vulnerabilities before an attack
- Analyze network centrally
- Discover security threats early
- Reduce cost of ownership by centralizing vulnerability scanning
- Help to maintain a secure and compliant network
It is an ethical hacking tool. It performance issues and reduces security risk with the deep visibility provided by Omnipeek. It can diagnose network issues faster and better with Savvius packet intelligence.
- Powerful, easy-to-use network forensics software
- Savvius automates the capture of the network data required to quickly investigate security alerts
- Software and integrated appliance solutions
- Packet intelligence combines deep analysis
- Rapid resolution of network and security issues
- Easy to use Intuitive workflow
- Expert and responsive technical support
- Onsite deployment for appliances
- Commitment to our customers and our products
Hashcat is a robust password cracking ethical hacking tool. It can help users to recover lost passwords, audit password security, or just find out what data is stored in a hash.
- Open-Source platform
- Multi-Platform Support
- Allows utilizing multiple devices in the same system
- Utilizing mixed device types in the same system
- It supports distributed cracking networks
- Supports interactive pause/resume
- Supports sessions and restore
- Built-in benchmarking system
- Integrated thermal watchdog
- Supports automatic performance tuning
L0phtCrack 6 is useful password audit and recovery tool. It identifies and assesses password vulnerability over local machines and networks.
- Multicore & multi-GPU support helps to optimize hardware
- Easy to customize
- Simple Password Loading
- Schedule sophisticated tasks for automated enterprise-wide password
- Fix weak passwords issues by forcing password resets or locking accounts
- It allows multiple auditing OSes
RainbowCrack is a password cracking tool widely used for ethical hacking. It cracks hashes with rainbow tables. It uses time-memory tradeoff algorithm for this purpose.
- Full time-memory trade-off tool suites, including rainbow table generation
- It Support rainbow table of any hash algorithm
- Support rainbow table of any charset
- Support rainbow table in raw file format (.rt) and compact file format
- Computation on multi-core processor support
- GPU acceleration with multiple GPUs
- Runs on Windows OS and Linux
- Unified rainbow table file format on every supported OS
- Command line user interface
- Graphics user interface
IKECrack is an open source authentication crack tool. This ethical hacking tool is designed to brute-force or dictionary attack. This tool also allows performing cryptography tasks.
- IKECrack is a tool that allows performing Cryptography tasks
- Initiating client sends encryption options proposal, DH public key, random number, and an ID in an unencrypted packet to the gateway/responder.
- It is freely available for both personal and commercial use. Therefore, it is perfect choice for user who wants an option for Cryptography programs
NetStumbler is used to detect wireless networks on the Windows platform.
- Verifying network configurations
- Finding locations with poor coverage in a WLAN
- Detecting causes of wireless interference
- Detecting unauthorized (“rogue”) access points
- Aiming directional antennas for long-haul WLAN links
Medusa is one of the best online brute-force, speedy, parallel password crackers ethical hacking tool. This tool is also widely used for ethical hacking.
- It is designed in such a way that it is speedy, massively parallel, modular, login brute-forcer
- The main aim of this tool is to support as many services which allow remote authentication
- Allows to perform Thread-based parallel testing and Brute-force testing
- Flexible user input. It can be specified in a variety of ways
- All the service module exists as an independent .mod file.
- No modifications are needed to the core application to extend the supported list of services for brute-forcing
SQLMap automates the process of detecting and exploiting SQL Injection weaknesses. It is open source and cross platform. It supports the following database engines.
- Postgre SQL
- MS SQL Server
- MS Access
- IBM DB2
- Sybase and SAP MaxDB
It supports the following SQL Injection Techniques;
- Boolean-based blind
- Time-based blind
- UNION query
- Stacked queries and out-of-band.
Cain & Abel
Cain & Abel is a Microsoft Operating System passwords recovery tool. It is used to –
- Recover MS Access passwords
- Uncover password field
- Sniffing networks
- Cracking encrypted passwords using dictionary attacks, brute-force, and cryptanalysis attacks.
Nessus can be used to perform;
- Remote vulnerability scanner
- Password dictionary attacks
- Denial of service attacks.
It is closed source, cross platform and free for personal use.
John the Ripper
John the Ripper is a fast password cracker with a lot of features that make it a breeze for slashing through your password files. It auto detects hash types to take the guesswork out of the attack and supports several popular encryption formats including DES, MD5, and Blowfish. It hits Unix, Kerberos, and Windows LanManager passwords equally hard using either dictionary or brute force attacks. If you haven’t checked your password hashes against John yet, you can be sure that some hacker out there will do it for you soon.
Nmap, or Network Mapper, is 20 years old, but remains one of the most flexible, powerful, and useful tools in the network security analysts toolkit. Nmap can bounce TCP and UDP packets around your network like a pinball wizard, identifying hosts, scanning for open ports, and slicing open misconfigured firewalls to show you what devices are open for business on your network… whether you put them there or someone else did. Nmap has been around so long that it has collected a constellation of helper tools such as the Zenmap GUI, Ncat debugging tool, and Nping packet generator.
The tool that turned hacking into a commodity when it was released in 2003, the Metasploit Framework made cracking known vulnerabilities as easy as point and click. Although sold as (and used by white hats) as a penetration testing tool, Metasploit’s free version is still where most neophyte hackers cut their teeth. With downloadable modules allowing any combination of exploit and executable payload, all freely available, hackers have instant access to any system showing one of nearly 2000 cataloged vulnerabilities. Sophisticated anti-forensic and stealth tools make the package complete.
Wireshark is the de facto standard in network protocol analysis tools. It allows deep inspection and analysis of packets from hundreds of different protocols, from the ubiquitous TCP to the exotic CSLIP. With built-in decryption support for many encrypted protocols and powerful filtering and display capabilities, Wireshark can help you dive deep in current activity on your network and expose nefariously crafted attacks in real time.